Information you provide directly to us:
You are not required to provide information directly to us in order to view the Site. However, when you use certain Site functions, such as when you register for certain services, access certain content or features, or directly contact the Site, we may ask you to provide information, including:
- contact information, such as name and email address;
- username and password;
- information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features;
- search queries conducted on the Site; and
- correspondence you send to us.
Information automatically collected when you visit and interact with the Site:
When you visit and interact with the Site, certain information may be collected automatically, including:
- your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- your browser type and operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Site;
- activities within community discussions;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the Site;
- your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs that are installed on your computer;
- aggregated data about email click-through rates and user video viewing;
- standard server log information; and
- information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies. For more information, please see our discussion of cookies and other tracking technologies
Information we collect from other sources:
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms (such as Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, social networking sites, databases, online marketing firms, and ad targeting firms), including:
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through the Site, your username and connection lists for those services;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and information about how many times you viewed a particular ad; and
- unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that the Site may combine the information that we collect with information we obtain from third-party sources.
We may use the information that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as information about your account or changes to the Site, promotional messages about our own or our marketing partners’ products and services, and our email newsletters.
In order to provide our readers with free access to our content, we display advertisements on the Site, many of which are targeted based on information about you. For example, using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, we may use demographic data or information about your online activities or interests to display targeted advertising that may be relevant to your preferences. Through this process, advertisers reach Site visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested. For more information on how cookies and other technologies work, please see our discussion of cookies and other tracking technologies.
To provide you with an open, but also civil, discussion forum, we track user involvement in our community discussions. For example, our forum moderators monitor discussions and delete comments that we deem inappropriate in our forums. For more information on this process, please see the Site’s community rules, forum rules or comment policies about comment moderation guidelines.
We may use the information that we collect to fulfill your requests for products, services, and information. For example, we may use your contact information to respond to your customer service requests or to enable you to participate in features on the Site such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards.
In order to learn more about how our Site is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to monitor and analyze use of the Site, to increase our Site’s functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors’ needs.
We may use the information that we collect to prevent illegal activities, to enforce the Site’s Terms and Conditions , and to otherwise protect our rights and the rights of our users.
The Company values your privacy, and shares information about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make information about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated information or information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on the Site unless you opt-in or otherwise agree to have such information shared with or otherwise disclosed to a third party for marketing purposes.
- We may employ third parties to perform Site-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the site, such as posting comments on community message boards, any information you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
- We may share information about you in the event that the Site is acquired by or merged with another company or a similar corporate transaction takes place.
- We may share information about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, violations of the Site’s Terms and Conditions , or as otherwise required by law.
- We may share information about you to respond to subpoenas, search warrants, judicial proceedings, court orders, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Once we share your information with another party, the information received by that party becomes subject to the other party’s privacy policies. Please note that third parties may independently collect data about you, including your IP address and information about the websites you visit and the links you click, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on the Site. For more information, see our section on cookies and other tracking technologies and third-party online advertising.
Deactivating your account
If the Site functionality permits, you can deactivate your account at any time by visiting the preferences page for your profile or delete any content you provide from the Site, though we may retain a copy of any deactivated accounts or deleted content for compliance purposes. When you deactivate your account, your user profile will be disabled, but your public comments will remain on the site. The Site has no responsibility to take down, remove, or edit any of your public activities or any submissions that are a result of your public activities. For more information, please review ourTerms and Conditions.
Cookies and other tracking technologies
As discussed in the sections on cookies and other tracking technologies and third-party online advertising, some information is collected about you automatically through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- Cookies.You can change your browser settings to reject all cookies, accept only certain cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Please note that you may need to renew these settings if you delete your cookies after these preferences are made. These settings also may not apply if you are using a different computer or Internet browser. To opt out of having information collected by third party ad networks, advertising agencies, advertisers, and audience segment providers used for behavioral advertising, to obtain information about the technologies these third parties might use, and to view information regarding their privacy policies, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices if you are located in the United States, www.youronlinechoices.com if you are located in Europe, youradchoices.ca/choices if you are located in Canada, or www.youronlinechoices.com.au if you are located in Australia .
- Flash Cookies. .You can control how Flash cookies are used by visiting the Adobe Macromedia site, located here. Adobe enables you to allow some Flash cookies from certain websites, limit Flash cookies’ storage capacity, and disallow Flash cookies altogether. In addition, if you use Mozilla Firefox for your Internet browser, you can download the BetterPrivacy add-on to automatically delete your Flash cookies every time you close your browser.
Do Not Track
We do not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created. To learn about Do Not Track, please click here.
If you choose to share personal information with us, you may update or amend this information by contacting us at email@example.com. Please include in your email the name of the Site to which you provided the information you wish to amend.
We limit access to contact information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We also have adopted commercially reasonable technical, physical, and administrative procedures to help protect information about you from loss, misuse, and alteration.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Site, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. The Site is designed to be of service and interest to users ages 13 and older. If you are a minor over the age of 13, you may only use this Site with the permission and under the supervision of your parent or guardian. If you are a minor under the age of 13, you are not allowed to provide any personal information to the Company, on the Site or through any other service provided by the Company. Please do not send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address.
The Company does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
The Company may occasionally offer promotions on its owned or third-party affiliated websites and applications (the “TotallyHer Affiliate Sites”) that may be directed in whole or in part to children under the age of 13. Generally, we do not directly or indirectly collect personally-identifiable information from children under the age of 13 in connection with these promotions. For some promotions, children are allowed to send preprogrammed messages to friends regarding a particular feature or activity being offered on the TotallyHer Affiliate Site. In these instances, the child is prompted to enter the email addresses of his or her friends and some other non-identifiable information, such as his or her first name only. This information is automatically discarded as soon as the preprogrammed message is delivered. From time to time, however, we may request limited personally-identifiable information in order to conduct online contests or sweepstakes. Our practices with respect to collection of personally-identifiable information from children under the age of 13 are described below. We do not condition a child’s participation in an activity on the child’s disclosing more personal information than is reasonably necessary to engage in the activity. In addition, a parent may at anytime review any personally-identifiable information collected about their child under the age of 13, have this information deleted and prohibit further collection or use of the child’s information (although this may require the child to forfeit any prize won in a sweepstakes or contest).
The Company occasionally offers contests and/or sweepstakes on a TotallyHer Affiliate Site directed in whole or in part to children under the age of 13. Our contests and sweepstakes are designed in such a manner that a child under the age of 13 is not required to provide any personally-identifiable information about him/herself prior to being named a winner. To participate in these contests or sweepstakes, however, we may require the child to provide a screen name and a parent’s e-mail address. We send an email notification to the parent’s email address only if the child has been selected as a potential winner of the contest or sweepstakes. The parent must then respond to the email notification by the deadline provided in the email notification, and must also complete and submit any prize claim documents in accordance with any instructions provided by the Company or as set forth in the official rules for the contest or sweepstakes.
The parental email address collected from each child is used solely to notify the parent if his/her child is a potential winner of the contest or sweepstakes, and it is not provided to any third party except those third parties we have engaged to assist us in running the contest or sweepstakes. These third parties are required to maintain the parental email in confidence and may only use it in connection with the services they are providing to us. The information collected from winners may be (i) used in advertising and promotional activities relating to our contest and/or sweepstakes, which may include making certain of this information publicly available, and (ii) passed on to third parties for the purpose of awarding prizes, and, depending on the type of prize, these third parties may not be prohibited from using the information for purposes other than awarding the prize (such as marketing or advertising). Again, please note that personally-identifiable information is only collected from the parents of children under the age of 13 who have potentially won a prize, and only after the parent consents to the award of the prize and the disclosure of the information.
We reserve the right to change this policy at any time. Please check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of our Site following the posting of changes to these terms will constitute acceptance of those changes. Information collected prior to the time any change is posted will be used according to the rules and law that applied at the time the information was collected.