Ok, this isn’t our normal hair tool review. Like other professions, these days, many Hairdressers and makeup artists travel for a living. Whether you are traveling for a hair show, conference, class, workshop, training or you have a job on location. Your favorite tools are your lifeline to creating a masterpiece or a complete failure.
Since failure isn’t in our vocabulary, we need the perfect bag to carry our trade secrets in. And in reality, we don’t always appreciate high-quality luggage till your favorite pair of scissors got mangled, and all your stuff gets strewn all over the luggage belt.
Stylist Travel case features we will be considering in this article:
Luggage size and weight
The maximum size of your hairstylist Travel case can be is 62”. If it’s over 62” then you will be charged extra, usually 100$usd a pop. That isn’t even if its overweight.
So, if your bag measures 28 inches high, 13 inches wide and 10 inches deep, its linear measurement or linear dimensions would be 28 + 13 + 10 = 51 linear inches. If your bag measures 25 inches high, 14 inches wide and 12 inches deep, its total linear dimensions would be 25 + 14 + 12 = 51 linear inches.-usatoday
*carry on is usually between 43-45”
The maximum weight for checked luggage these days is 50lbs. So if it’s over then the overweight charge is also usually 100$ USD. Most times the airlines don’t like overweight luggage for worker safety reasons.
With good reason, it’s best to look for the lightest possible bag so you’ll have more room for your actual tools.
*check with your airline for luggage specifics weight and size each airline is different and the rules are always changing.
Stylist rolling case material comparison
Pros and cons of different luggage materials
Hard-side luggage materials:
ABS– (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is usually combined with other materials to make a stronger suitcase.
Aluminum- lightweight, strong metal, won’t rust
MDF- Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product made by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibers, then that gets combined with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure. MDF is generally denser than plywood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard
- Because MDF is so dense, MDF is very heavy.
- MDF is prone to dings as luggage
- Don’t expose to moisture
PU Polyurethane/ PU leather (used as a laminate on hard side luggage)
Soft-side luggage material:
1680D Nylon fabric/ aka Ballistic Nylon.
Ballistic nylon was originally used in the flak jackets of World War II airmen to protect against debris caused by artillery impacts. In the mid-1980s, 1680D (D =denier) made its debut in the travel industry. This tough-as-nails material has proven to be one of the most trusted and durable fabrics used in luggage manufacturer.
When considering baggage material, ballistic nylon fits the bill for the regular traveler. If your bag is made from ballistic nylon, it can take a beating. Ballistic nylon’s “filament” yarn makes it a step smoother and stronger than common nylons like Cordura, which is less compact and features a rougher weave. The other major identifier of ballistic nylon is a two-ply weave, adding the extra stability needed to handle rough conditions. This durability and fine texture have made it a popular choice for business travelers. Worldtraveler
I bought a Samsonite set of made of this stuff except for the zipper (my fault for overstuffing the bag) it lasted longer than the 5-year warranty.
Nobody wants their possessions rifled through, especially when it comes to your trade tools. Locks keep you from losing your prized 200$ pair of sheers or your 400$ supersonic hair dryer.
All airport authorities have permission to inspect our bags at their own discretion. Most other countries, the authorities make the owner open it if they want to inspect the content further.
However, in the USA, airport security staff can open all check-in luggage without involving the owner. This means that luggage locks are opened with force, often damaging the actual luggage piece in the process.
If your bag is locked with TSA luggage locks, they can be unlocked with a master key and avoiding any damage. Thus you avoid leaving yourself open to theft or loss.
TIP: TSA does not reimburse passengers for unrecognized locks that have been broken as a result of the security screening process, or for any damage caused to locked bags for security purposes. -bforbag
Rolling Travel Cases
- Material: ABS Plastic Case Surface + MDF Case + Aluminum Edge + Metal Corner + Polyester Lining + Aluminum Pull Rod + Plastic Wheels
- Overall dimensions 15.2 x 10.4 x 22.4’’ (LxWxH) (slightly larger than carry-on size)
- Weight 5.4 kg/ 11.8 lb
- Max. Load Capacity: 20 kg/ 44 lb
- Pull Handle Max. Height: 105 cm / 41.3’’ (for taller people)
Yaheetech Rolling Makeup Case - Cosmetic Case Trolley Train Case Aluminum Sliding Drawer
- Case Dimension (wheels included): 34.3 x 24.2 x 55.5cm / 13.5 x 9.5 x 21.9’’ (LxWxH)
- Pull Handle Max. Height: 100 cm/ 39.4’’
- ABS case surface, MDF case, aluminum, and metal reinforced edges. Wear-resistant 210D polyester lining and rubber all-dimensional wheels. Aluminum sliding tracks and pull rods make smooth operation and corrosion resistance as well.
2-in-1 rolling case
Yaheetech 3 in 1 Professional Aluminum Rolling Makeup Trolley Artist Train Case
- Overall Dimension：14.2 x 9.4 x 39’’ (LxWxH)
- Weight: 9.6 Kg / 21.1 Lb
- Max load capacity 30 kg/ 66 lb
- Has a plastic outer case, aluminum, and metal reinforced edges.
- Spacious: Large bottom compartment with dividers for more storage 16’ deep
Soft side cases
2in1 Black Oxford Soft Sided Rolling Makeup Case
- Case Overall (LxWxH):16″x 12″x 27.6″（L41*W30*H70cm）(Medium Luggage sized)
- Shipping Weight: 26.5 pounds
- Made of 1680D Nylon fabric – wear-resistant and water-resistant
- Top Hollow Space (LxWxH):14.5″ x 10.6 x 5.3″（L37*W27*H13.4cm);
- Bottom Hollow Space (LxWxH):14.5″x 10.6″x 6.67″(L37*W27*H17cm);
- 4 detachable wheels – universal inline skate wheels
Question: Why is this pro artist case so much more expensive than the sport ones?
Answer: It has a slimmer frame, so you can use it as a carry-on bag. Also, it comes with utility pouches and travel cover.
Question: What is the difference between the Pro Artist and the Pro Travel?
Answer: The only difference between the Pro Artist and Pro Travel is the type of packing pouches inside. The Pro Artist roller bag contains clear vinyl packing pouches (better for liquids) and the Pro travel contains mesh packing pouches. The roller bag is the exact same on both.
Comes with seat cover but no seat cushion
Question: Do the wheels help when going up the stairs?
Answer: Wheels help with carrying up the stairs
Comparable to zuca may not last as long. And a bit more affordable
Ollieroo Rose-Pink Lockable Makeup Artist Case Rolling wheels
- Overall Case w/ Handle and Wheels Dimension(L x W x H): 14.6″ x 9.6″ x 22.6 (handle down) 39.1″(with handle up)
- Overall Box Dimension(L x W x H): 14.6″ x 9.6″ x 19.5″(not including the wheels)
- Weight: 15 Lbs.
- Material: the walls are made of MDF, the black part inside the case and the pink part is made of PU leather.
- Since its carry on sized best to carry on the bag may not withstand luggage handling unless you invest in extra luggage straps to keep it all together
Mfg Recommendation: The partitions are fixed by glue which may produce some odor in the bag. The odor is non-toxic. But let the travel case air out odor for 2~3 days after you receive it.
SHANY Rebel Series Pro Makeup Artists Multifunction Cosmetics Trolley Train Case
- Rolling case Measurement: 16 x 11.5 x 34 inches ; 14.3 pounds (large suitcase size)
- Shipping Weight: 43.7 (with all accessories)
- Featuring extra outlets for Hairdryer, Flat Irons, Hair straighteners, Lighted Makeup case with LED lights. Working Fan