I think we can all admit that we have struggled with not having our hair done in the last year, what with salons being closed…
We are all so used to booking our salon appointments every 6-8 weeks, and all of a sudden that has been stretched to 10-16 weeks, sometimes longer depending on what area you are in.
Generally, our biggest worry is, how do I hide my roots from the last week before having my hair done? Especially if you have an occasion, work meeting or you simply want to feel fresh.
Hair Color Sprays are perfect for in-between salon appointments, they are a quick fix solution without the need for box dyes.
They have a range of uses from covering white hair to creating a fashion statement, perfect if you don’t want to commit to a color.
They are temporary meaning that they are safe to use and won’t damage your hair, although the longevity and coverage may differ between brands.
Why wouldn’t I just use a Semi Permanent Box Dye?
I think we all know the face a hair stylist pulls when you mention a box dye! I know sometimes we feel like they are the only solution but luckily there are tonnes of other products now on the market which will solve our problem for us.
Firstly, let’s clarify what a semi-permanent hair color is…
A true semi-permanent is not mixed with any other product, it is simply applied straight from the bottle to the scalp, and it will rinse out after around 6-8 washes.
Any color that is mixed with a product (i.e. peroxide/developer) will permanently alter the hair in some way. They may also contain ‘Metallic Salts’ which are used to achieve the target hair shade, the bad news is these also can cause a reaction with professional hair dye.
What are the best temporary hair color sprays?
My go-to root cover-up spray is the L’oreal Professional Hair Touch Up Spray in ‘Brown’. I always tend to recommend this spray purely because I feel it gives the most natural finish to the hair.
The L’Oreal Professional Hair Touch Up Spray has some great benefits:
- It is natural looking, so it doesn’t make it obvious that you have a product on your root.
- Blends white hair.
- The durability is amazing, it hides your roots seamlessly until your next shampoo.
- Hides your roots in seconds.
- It has a fine applicator nozzle, meaning it is very easy to use.
- Formulated with make-up pigment.
- Comes in six shades.
Sometimes it is hard to pick the correct spray to blend with your hair color.
I always say go with the one nearest to what you have, for example, if your hair is brown with no warmth, go with either a brown or cool brown.
If your hair has a slight red tinge to it, go with a warm brown or mahogany.
*Ensure you wash this out before your next hair appointment as it may affect the coverage of the professional hair color.
- Adding instant color.
- No commitment, color change.
- Easy to apply and remove.
- Comes in over 10 different shades.
- Can be used on under 16-year old’s.
Tips for Application of permanent hair color spray
Here are a few tips and tricks for applying the hair color spray, to achieve the most natural looking result.
- Spray in a well-ventilated room.
- For white hair coverage spray through the partings and gently rub in with your finger.
- To cover the hairline, put your hair in a ponytail, spray away from the face and gently rub in with your finger.
- Keep the nozzle about three inches away from the scalp.
- Wear a darker top to avoid staining and protect with a towel.
- Always remember a little goes a long way.
- Spray in little bursts – you can always add more.
To remove it is best to shampoo your hair first with a deep cleansing shampoo to ensure that all of the product has been removed properly from the hair.
The sprays above are just two of my favourites, most brands now have their own versions, some even come with little applicator brushes.
In review, I LOVE Hair Color Sprays and I recommend them all the time!! They are the perfect quick fix solution and are great if you want to experiment with color, and another plus…
They fit perfectly in your handbag!
Also read – How to Blend dark root with blonde hair at home and best semi-permanent color spray to cover grey hair.